Proactive Protection: Taking Action for Unwanted and Abandoned Pets
With scores of abandoned or neglected pets across the country, we all have a part to play in ensuring they receive the aid and attention they require. If you want to contribute, here are some key resources from Spirit Pet Urns to help you get started.
Understand What’s Involved for You
Before committing to the role of ‘volunteer’, it’s worth exploring all options and ensuring that you’re the right fit.
- Make sure you understand the various responsibilities and hardships that come with volunteering at an animal shelter.
- Familiarize yourself with the various positions and locations available to animal volunteers.
- Understand that volunteering or donating isn’t the only way to help. You could also try fostering in your own home.
- Learn what products and services these organizations tend to need. You can then look for reviews online for those items and purchase some - or even hold a fundraiser to purchase a lot of them - to donate!
Learn More About Organizations that Help
Before dedicating your time and energy to any one institute, it’s important to read up and ensure your efforts would be wisely spent. There are plenty of great organizations, so look into ones near you, too.
- Pet Haven of Minnesota has been helping pets of all ages find homes through fosters and adoption since 1952. They have a special emphasis on older pets.
- The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is the first human society established in the USA and one of the largest in the world.
- A well-known global non-profit organization, the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) helps to protect endangered species worldwide, including some taken as pets.
- If you have a partiality towards cats, Alley Cat Allies (ACA) is a reputable organization with a Platinum Seal of Transparency.
Establish a New Organization to Fill a Gap
If none of the existing organizations quite address your concerns, it’s possible to form your own nonprofit.
- If you’re going down this route, make sure you understand the business structure requirements for a nonprofit.
- Forming a charity is possible with the necessary licenses and permits.
- Invest in nonprofit software for accounting to ensure your tracking and managing donations.
- You’ll also need to raise funds to get your operations off the ground.
- Start a great marketing campaign. First, find a free banner maker to create a nice image to use on social media. Then use it across your platforms to help brand your business.
However you decide you want to help, you’ll often find support from the community and those already involved. Taking action is a great way to meet new people and make a profound difference in the lives of abandoned and neglected pets.
People who volunteer in pet organizations tend to have a soft spot for animals, or have recently lost a pet they loved dearly. If you’ve recently lost a beloved pet, memorialize them with a beautiful urn. That way, your pet will always be with you. Visit us online to see our large selection of handmade cremation pet urns.
Photo Credit: Irina Zhur via Pexels